I think all Ohioans would agree that now that the holidays are over there’s really nothing left to live for until summer. It’s cold. It’s dreary. I have to wear multiple layers and bring two pairs of shoes to work. Hibernation or vacation is all any of us are thinking about.
So to help beat the winter blues we’re gonna spice it up with some crockpot chicken mexi-chili!! What’s a mexi-chili you ask? It’s a word I made up. But it’s fitting because this chicken chili is loaded with mexican flavors for a new, spicy twist on everyone’s favorite winter dinner!
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links, meaning I will get a small portion of any sales that result from readers clicking my links. This is of no cost to you but is greatly appreciated by me! Thank you! And thank you for trying these products that I love!
CROCKPOT CHICKEN MEXI-CHILI
252 calories per serving
5 SP per serving
The best thing about this recipe is that the only cooking skill you need is to be able to function a can opener. (Still too complicated? That’s okay you can always just buy an electric can opener 😛 Now you have no excuse!)
To make this recipe even easier, I recommend using these slow cooker liners. You just put it in your crockpot, toss in the ingredients, then throw it away once you’re done! No dishes. That’s right. A zero effort dinner with zero dishes! What a time to be alive.So once you have your liner in place, add in 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast. Add in 1 (15 oz) can each of pinto beans, black beans, and corn (all drained and rinsed) Then add in 2 (10.5 oz) cans of Rotel tomatoes. I chose to use mild because I can’t handle spice. At all! But if you want to spice it up even more you could use their hot version.
Next, add in 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce and 1 (4 oz) can of diced green chilis. Finally, add in 1 Tbsp each of chili powder and cumin and 1 package of taco seasoning (I used low sodium). Mix all ingredients together and ensure the chicken is fully covered. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Once cooked, shred the chicken using two forks then mix together again.
Serve in bowls topped with your favorite mexican toppings. We recommend sour cream, tomatoes, onions, hot sauce (Andrew’s recommendation) and cheese (duh!)
(PS: Not feeling the Mexican flair? Check out this recipe for a beef based Crockpot Chili instead!)
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 oz) can of whole corn kernels (drained)
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans of Rotel tomatoes (I used mild because it's the least spicy! 🙂 )
- 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilis
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- Add all ingredients into the crockpot and mix well, ensuring that the chicken is fully covered.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks once cooked then mix together again.
- Serve in bowls, top with your favorite Mexican toppings and enjoy! (We recommend sour cream, tomatoes, onions, hot sauce, and cheese)
**Recipe from Tone and Tighten
What do you think? Did this recipe make the cut for you or did it crumble? What would you do differently? I look forward to reading your opinions!