Marinated cheese. Yes, it’s a thing. And yes, you need it right now.
Just when you think you’ve experienced cheese in every form available on earth, marinated cheese rolls on the scene and you’re all “whaaaaa?” (At least that’s how it went for me, anyway!)
I made this dish twice in one week and it was all devoured faster than I could pass out the assorted crackers. This dish is absolutely amazing for multiple reasons:
2. It’s super easy to put together.
3. You prepare it in advance which makes it a simple appetizer for any get together (no day-of-party preparation!).
5. It’s unique, which will lead to every food blogger’s favorite quote being heard at your party all night: “You have got to try this!”
7. IF there are any leftovers, it holds up really well for a few days!
If that’s not enough reasons to try this dish, I don’t know what will sell you! 🙂 Oh wait, did I mention the cheese?
Disclaimer: This post contains Amazon affiliate links, meaning I will get a small portion of any sales that result from readers clicking my links. This is of no cost to you but is greatly appreciated by me! Thank you! And thank you for trying these products that I love!
Have you ever seen anything so gorgeous and mouth watering? If your mouth isn’t watering right now that’s probably just because you haven’t tasted this yet. Or you might need to see a doctor. The marinade for this cheese is so incredibly flavorful that you’re going to be digging in for more before you even finish your first bite!
Basil, pimientos, and garlic are the stars of the marinade and with a flavor trio like that you know this appetizer is going to pack a punch!
To prepare the marinated cheese, keep in mind that it has to sit for at least 8 hours, or overnight so give yourself plenty of time to marinate! You’re going to start by slicing up an 8 oz block of both sharp cheddar cheese and cream cheese. First, place them in the freezer for about 20 minutes to chill and make them easier to slice. Cut in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise into 1/4 inch thick squares. (I highly recommend a quality cheese slicer such as this marble cheese slicer or this wire cheese slicer!) I did the cream cheese in two separate batches as I found I wasn’t fast enough to slice the whole block before it started to soften.
Arrange your cheese slices standing on edge in alternating order of cheddar cheese then cream cheese squares on your platter. The marinade is a little liquidy so make sure your platter has rounded edges to prevent a mess!
Prepare the marinade by chopping up 3 T of fresh parsley and 3 T fresh basil and mincing 3 T green onions and 3 cloves of garlic. Add to a jar (I used a recycled 12 oz jelly jar) then add in 1/2 C extra-virgin olive oil, 1/2 C white wine vinegar, 1 (2 oz) jar diced pimientos (drained), 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Shake well.
Pour the marinade over the cheese slices, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Before serving, spoon the extra marinade over the cheese. Use a small cheese spatula spreader (like the one in this 4 Piece Cheese Knives Gift Set) to serve a slice of cheddar and cream cheese on a cracker. Top with a little extra marinade, if you wish. Enjoy!
Don’t worry if you don’t finish all of the cheese, it actually holds up really well over the next few days! I was afraid it would turn slimy in the marinade but it never did. I had a few pieces left over from my first batch that I experimented with and after 2 days they were still just as good as fresh!
Side Note: As I was writing this post I learned that I was only supposed to use 3/4 tsp dried basil but I used 3 T fresh basil instead. Whoops. No one seemed to mind and I looove basil so I am keeping the recipe with my mistake but you could substitute for the dried basil if you prefer! 🙂
Looking for more cheesy appetizers? Here are a few more crumbles:
Or, if you’re looking for something a smidge lighter, here a few of the lower calorie recipes from the cuts:
- 1 (8 oz) block sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese
- 3 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 T fresh basil, chopped
- 3 T green onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ C extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ C white wine vinegar
- 1 (2 oz.) jar diced pimientos,drained
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Start by slicing up the sharp cheddar cheese and cream cheese. First, place them in the freezer for about 20 minutes to chill and make them easier to slice. Cut in half lengthwise, then slice crosswise into ¼ inch thick squares. (I highly recommend a quality cheese slicer! Links in post!)
- Arrange your cheese slices standing on edge in alternating order of cheddar cheese then cream cheese squares on your platter. The marinade is a little liquidy so make sure your platter has rounded edges to prevent a mess!
- Prepare the marinade by mixing the parsley, basil, onions, garlic, olive oil, white wine vinegar, pimientos, sugar, salt and pepper in a small jar (I used a 12 oz jar). Shake well.
- Pour the marinade over the cheese slices, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, spoon the extra marinade over the cheese. Use a small cheese spatula spreader to serve a slice of cheddar and cream cheese on a cracker. Top with a little extra marinade, if you wish. Enjoy!
**Recipe adapted from The Kitchen Is My Playground
What do you think? Did this recipe make the cut for you or did it crumble? What would you do differently? I look forward to reading your opinions!