Mini heart shaped pies stuffed with a cinnamon apple filling and topped with a sugary glaze! Perfect as a Valentine’s Day dessert!
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 3 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 4 frozen pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 3/4 C powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Add 2 diced apples to a bowl with 3 1/2 Tbsp sugar, 2 Tbsp flour, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon. Mix all of these ingredients together then set aside.
- While you’re prepping the apple filling, allow 4 frozen pie crusts to thaw. Remove from packaging and flatten then cut into hearts using a cookie cutter. Feel free to combine the scraps of dough and roll out with a rolling pin to utilize all of the crust!
- Once your hearts are ready, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Align a few hearts on the sheet and top evenly with your apple filling.
- Next, you want to prepare an egg wash to seal down the top half of the heart. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and 1 Tbsp of water. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash along the edges of the apple topped heart, then place another heart on top. Press the edges together with a fork to seal then brush the entire top with more egg wash. Continue until all of your hearts are sealed and washed.
- Using a sharp knife, cut little X’s and O’s into the top of the pies to vent. This will prevent the crust from cracking during baking. Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown then transfer to a cooling rack. Place the cooling rack on top of a foil lined baking sheet to catch your excess glaze.
- While your hearts are baking, prep your glaze by whisking together 3/4 C powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp milk. Add more powdered sugar or milk, if necessary. (More sugar if it is too thin, more milk if it is too thick and won’t easily pour).
- Drizzle the glaze in strips along the hearts and allow to set up for a few minutes.
The size of your cutter will obviously change how many you are able to make. I had about a 4 inch cutter and was able to make 12 pies.
Store leftovers in an airtight container. I think they taste best at room temperature! (When reheated they became pretty dried out, but at room temp they are perfect!)
Keywords: Valentine's Day dessert, mini apple pies, kid-friendly dessert