Low-calorie tortillas enveloped around Mexican flavored shredded chicken, baked to crispy chimichanga perfection then topped with a guilt-free cheesy sauce! All for under 300 calories!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, peppered on each side
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2/3 C chicken broth (I used low sodium)
- 1 packet Lawry's Burrito seasoning (or your favorite taco/fajita seasoning brand)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 8 Tbsp shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- 8 soft tortillas (I used 100 calorie wraps)
For the cheesy sauce:
- 2/3 C Classico Light Alfredo sauce
- 2/3 C shredded cheddar cheese
Extra toppings such as lettuce, onions, salsa, sour cream, jalapeños, etc.!
- In a large non-stickskillet, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil then add in 2 peppered chicken breasts, 1 diced onion and 2-3 cloves of minced garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, stirring the onions occasionally.
- Add 2/3 C low sodium chicken broth, 1 burrito seasoning packet, 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp oregano.
- Cover the pan and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes, or until the chicken reads at 165 degrees on your meat thermometer. At this point, you'll want to preheat your oven to 400 degrees so it is ready for baking!
- Remove the chicken from the pan and shred. then add back into the pan with the sauce and mix to coat.
- Microwave 8 tortillas in batches by placing about 3-4 few on a plate, separated by damp paper towels, and microwaving for 30 seconds.
- Place 1 Tbsp of shredded Mexican cheese into the center of each tortilla, then top with chicken mixture. Fold the edges in to form a rectangle, ensuring all of the chicken filling stays inside. Continue until all tortillas are filled.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place the chimichangas seam side down on the baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- While your chimichangas cool enough to eat, prep your guilt-free cheesy sauce by pouring 2/3 C light alfredo sauce and 2/3 C shredded cheddar cheese into a small non-stick skillet. Heat over medium-low heat, constantly stirring, until combined. This can then be split up 8 ways among the chimichangas.
- Top the chimichangas with the guilt-free cheesy sauce and your favorite toppings (lettuce, onions, salsa, sour cream, jalapeños, etc).
- Enjoy! 🙂
Leftover chimichangas can be reheated in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes, and the cheesy sauce can be reheated for about 30 seconds!
Keywords: healthy chimichangas, low carb lunch, make-ahead meal, kid-friendly dinner, cinco de mayo