This balsamic chicken and veggies is a quick, easy, healthy, low calorie dinner idea that is FULL of fresh roasted veggies! Only 296 calories per serving!
This dish has been in the front of my virtual recipe box for a few weeks now. I feel like I lose weight just looking at a picture of it! It’s healthy, light, full of veggies and delicious! Plus it’s a super quick and easy weeknight dish, and who doesn’t need more recipes like that??
I’m pretty much a sucker for anything with balsamic vinegar, especially when the entire dish is bathed in it, so I knew this would make a perfect dinner for me!
BALSAMIC CHICKEN AND VEGGIES
296 calories per serving
I found this recipe from Gina at Skinny Taste, and if you haven’t checked out her site, you definitely should! She has a lot of wonderful, unique, low calorie dishes to choose from. She also includes Weight Watchers points for you if you’re on that program!
Anyway, her recipe called for boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, which I was all about after how much I loved the thighs in my one pan healthy chicken dinner. However, Andrew recommended we do chicken tenders instead, as they’re healthier and lower in calories. You could also do chicken breasts pounded thin, if you wanted to!
The only prep you really need to do for this dish is to dice up all of the veggies. I actually did this the day before I planned on making the dinner which worked out great because all we had to do was toss everything onto a baking sheet!
Start by slicing 2 red peppers and 5 oz of mushrooms into thin strips and one red onion into large chunks. Trim the ends off 10 asparagus spears and cut in half. Slice 6 medium carrots in half lengthwise. Roughly chop 2 garlic cloves. Mix all of the veggies together.
Once you’re ready to make the dish, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare two large baking sheets by lining with foil and spraying with cooking spray. Season 1 lb chicken tenders with pepper then add to a large mixing bowl. Add in your chopped veggies, 2 chopped sage leaves, 1 tsp fresh rosemary, 1/4 C balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp sugar, and 1/2 Tbsp oregano. Mix to fully coat the chicken and veggies with the seasonings.
Line all ingredients on the prepared baking sheets, making sure none of the veggies touch the chicken. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
**Side note: For reheating any leftovers, I recommend heating a skillet over medium heat with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Add chicken and cook for 30 seconds, then add veggies and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until warm.
This will prevent the chicken from drying out and veggies from becoming mushy during reheating. We also added in some taco seasoning and cheese to add some Mexican flair to the leftovers! It tasted like a whole new dish! This dish is a perfect canvas to get creative with the leftovers!
A quick, easy, healthy, low calorie dinner idea that is FULL of fresh roasted veggies! Only 296 calories per serving!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenders (You can also use 8 chicken thighs or breasts, pounded thin)
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped into large chunks
- 10 asparagus spears, ends trimmed, cut in half
- 6 medium carrots
- 5 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1/4 C balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Prepare two large baking sheets by lining with foil and spraying with cooking spray.
- Add 1 lb of chicken tenders to a large bowl and season with pepper, set aside.
- Prepare veggies as directed under ingredient list.
- Add all of the veggies to the chicken bowl. Add in 2 chopped sage leaves, 1 tsp rosemary, 1/4 C balsamic vinegar, 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp sugar, and 1/2 Tbsp oregano. Mix to fully coat all of the ingredients.
- Spread ingredients into a single layer on the prepared baking sheets, making sure none of the veggies are touching the chicken.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked and veggies are tender.
For reheating any leftovers, I recommend heating a skillet over medium heat with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Add chicken and cook for 30 seconds, then add veggies and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until warm.
Keywords: one pan dinner, easy weeknight meal, family dinner, healthy, low calorie, easy, make-ahead, low carb
**Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste
What do you think? Did this recipe make the cut for you or did it crumble? What would you do differently? Leave a comment below! 🙂