All your chicken philly favorites stuffed into a green pepper and enveloped in creamy provolone for only 224 calories per serving!
- 1 boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- 2 green peppers
- 1 small onion, sliced into thin strips
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices extra thin provolone cheese (I used Hillendale)
- Brine your chicken by placing one chicken breast into a tupperware container or bowl then covering with water. Add in a little salt and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is brined, cut it into about 1 inch chunks.
- Cut 2 green peppers in half and remove the seeds and stems. (You can easily spoon out the stem in the center of the pepper.)
- Slice 1 small onion into thin strips and dice 2-3 garlic cloves.
- Boil a large pot of water over high heat then add in the halved peppers. Boil for 3 minutes then drain upside down on paper towel or cutting board.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat and add in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Toss in your sliced onions and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the chicken chunks, 8 oz of mushrooms, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, your diced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until the chicken is done (160-165 degrees).
- In a deep cooking dish, add the 4 pepper halves with the sliced side facing up. Line inside of each pepper half with 1 slice of extra thin provolone cheese. Then top equally with the chicken/veggie mixture. Pour a few tablespoons of water into the bottom of the dish then cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove from the oven and top each half with another slice of extra thin provolone. Switch oven to broil and broil for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and a little browned.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then serve! Enjoy! 🙂
Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave but they get a little liquidy the longer you store them. This isn't an issue, just dump out any excess liquid that accumulates!
I like to add one more slice of extra thin provolone to the top right after microwaving to make them extra cheesy! (And this only adds 37 calories since the cheese is extra thin!)
Keywords: low carb philly, philly cheesteak, low calorie, easy stuffed peppers