Healthy ground chicken cooked with fresh veggies, flavorful spices and filling refried beans then rolled into boston lettuce wraps and finished with all your favorite taco toppings! Only 148 calories per chicken taco!
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 C salsa of choice
- 1 bunch of boston lettuce
- 2 1/2 C refried beans
- Favorite taco toppings such as cheese, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeños, etc.
- Heat a medium-sized pan over medium heat and add in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add in 1 small white diced onion and 1 diced jalapeño and cook for about 5 minutes, or until onions are soft. Add in 1 minced garlic clove and continue to cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently. Transfer mixture into a bowl.
- In the same pan, add in 1 lb ground chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes while breaking into small pieces. Once the chicken is no longer pink, add in 1 tsp chili powder and 1 tsp cumin. Add the onion mixture back into the pan.
- Add in 3 Tbsp tomato paste and 1 C salsa. Mix together and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook for an additional 8 minutes until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
- Spoon 1/4 C warmed fat-free refried beans into a boston lettuce leaf, top with chicken mixture and your favorite taco toppings! I used cojita cheese, cilantro and lime juice. You could also use more salsa, jalapeños, tomatoes, or avocados.
To reheat, microwave refried beans and chicken mixture together for about 1 minute before assembling tacos.
Keywords: low calorie tacos, keto friendly dinner, make-ahead meal, low carb tacos