This easy double smoked turkey is simple and delicious. Your friends will think you spent all day prepping a Thanksgiving quality turkey!
Meat Used: Pre-cooked/smoked turkey breast (Our was from The Kansas City Steaks Co.)
Seasoning: The BBQ Brother's All Purpose BBQ Rub
Wood Used: Mesquite
Grill Temperature: 250 degrees
Meat Temperature: 170 degrees
Smoke Time: ~2.5-3 hours, indirect heat
- First, we want to rub the bird down with some vegetable oil and our All Purpose BBQ Rub. Heat the smoker to 250 degrees and throw it on indirect heat with some mesquite wood chips.
- Next to the turkey we will put a coffee mug with 2 sticks of butter, 2 tsp of hot sauce (I used tabasco), 1 tsp honey, and a sprinkle of rub. Place the mug over direct heat. This will serve as our basting mix, and as we smoke, the butter melts and when we open the lid we have everything right on the grill nice and hot so we don’t have to be bringing anything with us out in the cold.
- When we first get going, leave the lid on to smoke for about 45 min (resist the urge to peek) . Then we will baste the bird every 15-20 min for about another 2 hours, until we reach our desired temp to serve (internal temperature of 170 degrees).
- Once we get close (the last 10 min) we want to baste it really heavy (where the bird is dripping) and crank up the heat to develop a good bark. Once it is done let it rest for about 30 mins, slice and then serve.
- There it is! All done. No carving or stuffing, just simple turkey with biiiiig smoke taste!
Keywords: smoked turkey, easy double smoked, small turkey for Thanksgiving, unique turkey