Fresh blackberries and raspberries cooked down with honey and orange juice to create a naturally flavored, spreadable breakfast topping for bagels, waffles, french toast, or even desserts! This easy compote has only 22 calories per serving!
- 1 pint of raspberries (2 C)
- 1 pint of blackberries (2 C)
- Juice from 1/4 of an orange (or 1 Tbsp of orange juice)
- 1 Tbsp of quality maple syrup
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- To start this recipe, place a small saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat. Wash 1 pint each of blackberries and raspberries and toss them into the saucepan. Squeeze in 1 Tbsp orange juice (about 1/4 of an orange) and add in 1 Tbsp maple syrup and just a dash of salt.
- Cook mixture for about 5 minutes, until it begins a low boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat slightly and begin to mash the berries to your desired consistency with a fork, potato masher, or wooden spoon. Continue to cook and stir for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the compote from heat then add in 1 tsp vanilla. Taste your compote to decide if you want to add in any additional sweeteners or flavors, being careful not to add too many liquid ingredients or your compote will become too juicy.
- Allow the compote to cool, then either serve immediately or jar and refrigerate for later use. Your compote should be refrigerated and used within 10-14 days. Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave or eaten cold, whatever suits your taste!
- Enjoy! 🙂
Add 5 minutes to cook time if using fozen berries. See post above for additional flavoring options!
You can spread your compote on bagels, toast, waffles, and pancakes or stir into yogurt, top desserts or even serve on ice cream!
Keywords: compote, raspberries, blackberries, breakfast, spread, easy, homemade fruit spread, low calorie, low sugar, natural fruit