There are three (and ONLY three) things that I love about mornings…
- Sleeping through them
- Waking up early to get on a plane that is taking me to a beach
- Breakfast foods
Since I’m not a full time blogger (insert cry face and pray hands emojis here), I have to wake up and go to work like almost everyone else in the world. This ruins #1 and #2, so that leaves me with my final morning joy. And although I love breakfast foods, I hate waking up early to make them, which is why I am obsessed with make ahead breakfast dishes!
Last week I made Loaded Breakfast Bowls that were absolutely eggcellent. Did you see what I did there? Did you understand the yolk? I mean joke? Sorry my brain got a little scrambled…okay I’m done. Let’s whisk on back to the bowls! 🙂 At only 278 calories and a reheat time of 1 minute, I thought I had reached the peak of breakfast nirvana. But per usual, Pinterest slapped me right in my naive face with another delicious, easy and healthy breakfast dish!
HAM AND EGG CASSEROLE
198 calories per slice
5 SP per slice
Fellow cranky morning friends rejoice because your morning routine just got so much easier. Can you imagine having a breakfast this flavorful that is ready within one minute? ONE minute?! I’ve had yawns that lasted longer than that! And as an added bonus, at only 198 calories, this ham and egg casserole is perfect for our 12 Week Weight Loss Challenge!
To begin your casserole prep, you’re going to dice 1/2 of a red pepper, 1/2 of a green pepper, and 1/4 of a white onion.
Next, preheat a skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil. Once hot, add in the peppers and onions and cook for about 4 minutes, or until softened.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and prepare an 8×8 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together 8 eggs with 1/3 cup of milk and season with salt and pepper. Now we’re all ready to layer the casserole!
Add in your 8 oz of cooked, chopped ham. I cheated and used the prepackaged diced ham from Sugardale. 🙂 Top with cooked peppers and onions. Sprinkle with 1/2 C of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Pour on your whisked eggs. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs appear fluffy and fully cooked. Top with a little extra cheese, if you please! You can also serve topped with chives, sour cream, avocado or salsa.
Enjoy! Reheat in the microwave for about 45 seconds-1 minute, devour in 2 minutes, and you’re well on your way to a healthier day!Print
This ham and egg casserole is a low calorie breakfast dish that is full of flavor and can be made in advance! Only 198 calories (6 SP) and reheats in one minute!
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 of a white onion, diced
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 eggs (I used medium sized)
- 1/3 C milk (I used skim)
- 8 oz of cooked, chopped ham (I used a package of diced Sugardale ham)
- 1/2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add in olive oil. Once hot, add peppers and onions and cook for about 4 minutes, or until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare an 8×8 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray and begin layering casserole by spreading ham along bottom of dish.
- Top with cooked peppers and onions and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Finally, pour eggs on top.
- Bake until eggs are fully cooked and fluffy, about 25-30 minutes.
- Top with a little extra cheese, chives, sour cream, avocado, or salsa, if you wish!
5 SP per slice
Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave for 45 seconds-1 minute.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 147.8 mg
- Fat: 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.5 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 16.5 g
- Cholesterol: 228.7 mg
**Recipe from Cooking Classy
What do you think? Did this recipe make the cut for you or did it crumble? What would you do differently? I look forward to reading your opinions!