BoooOOookkKK!!! These Hocus Pocus Book Brownies are the perfect festive Halloween dessert! Don't look them right in the eye, they might put a spell on you!
For the brownies:
- 1 C white sugar
- ⅓ C unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ C flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ C butter, melted then cooled
For the Icing:
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C confectioners sugar
- 3 Tbsp whole milk or heavy cream
- Candy eyeballs
- Black cookie frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x8 glass dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together all dry brownie ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs with 1 tsp vanilla then add to the dry ingredients.
- Slowly add 1/2 C butter (which has been melted and cooled), until just combined.
- Pour into the glass dish and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prep the icing by combining 3 Tbsp softened butter, 2 Tbsp cocoa powder, 1 Tbsp honey, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 C confectioners sugar by using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with a whisk attachment on low for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add 3 Tbsp of milk 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Once the brownies are done, allow to fully cool, then place on a cooling rack with a cookie sheet underneath to catch the excess (or foil if you want one less thing to clean!), then spoon the icing on top until fully coated.
- Once completely cooled, top each brownie on the right side with a candy eyeball. Draw a circle around it with black cookie frosting. Draw a scribbly line down the left hand side of the brownie to look like the snake binding of the book, and two arcs in the right corners to look like the snake knots.
- Enjoy! (If you dare!) 😛
See post notes for image on how to decorate your books!
Keywords: Hocus Pocus spell book, Halloween brownies, easy festive dessert, kid-friendly baking