A healthy, hearty, veggie-packed, Italian orzo soup that is only 162 calories per serving! With pops of flavor from the fire-roasted tomatoes, this soup will have you saying "chicken noodle, who?"
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 C peeled, sliced carrots
- 1 C celery, diced
- 3 cloves peeled, minced garlic
- 8 C low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 (14 oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 C (8 oz) orzo pasta
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 4 C loosely packed spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large stockpot over medium-high heat and add in 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Add in 1 diced onion and sauté until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Toss in 1 C of peeled, sliced carrots, 1 C diced celery and 3 cloves of garlic and continue to sauté for about another 3 minutes.
- Pour in 8 C low sodium chicken stock, a 14 oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 1 1/2 C orzo pasta, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp oregano, and 1/4 tsp rosemary and stir to combine. Bring soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until orzo is al dente.
- Stir in 4 C spinach and cook for 1-2 minutes or until it is bright green and wilted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, as well as any additional thyme, oregano, and rosemary, if you'd like.
- Serve warm. Enjoy! 🙂
Leftovers can simply be microwaved for a minute or two
Keywords: orzo, low calorie, easy soup, winter comfort food