The Kentucky Hot Brown Dip is a creamy, melty, cheesy, meaty, smoky dip that will definitely keep your guests coming back for more! Only 142 calories!
“Oh man, here she goes again with this Kentucky Hot Brown nonsense again.” But guys! Seriously, it’s such an amazing blend of flavors and now it’s in dip form!! Could life get any better?!
Do you know what a Kentucky Hot Brown is? If you’ve made my mini hot browns then you’ve probably already received this history lesson, and if not, here we goooo!
So the “hot brown” is a sandwich created by Chef Fred Schmidt of the Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY. It was created for hungry guests to eat after a dinner dance hosted by the hotel in the 1920’s. So basically, it’s drunk food. Delicious, creamy, meaty, carby, drunk food. So when we turn this sammy into a (lower calorie) dip it makes for a perfect girl’s night appetizer! 🙂
KENTUCKY HOT BROWN DIP
142 calories per serving
If you’re looking for a quick, hot, delicious snack to whip together before guests come over, this Kentucky Hot Brown dip is gonna give you all the feels. It’s just the cheesy, meaty, smoky dip you’ve been searching for!
You’re going to start by letting your 8 oz of cream cheese soften at room temperature in a medium-sized bowl (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese). While you wait for the softening process to occur, you can cook 6 slices of bacon ( I choose to bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for 8-12 minutes) then chop into small pieces. Next, dice up one small tomato. Finally, chop 2 C of turkey (just basic lunch meat is fine! Unless you have some leftover double smoked turkey sitting around, then I would definitely recommend using some of that 😉 ) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl containing the cream cheese, add in 1/4 C of Greek yogurt (I used non-fat), 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 4 oz of cheddar cheese (about 1 C), half of the bacon and all of the chopped turkey. Mix well.
Transfer mixture to a glass or ceramic baking dish then top with tomato, remaining cheddar, 1/4 C pecorino romano cheese (or parmesan), and remaining bacon.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly! Allow to cool slightly then serve with crostinis, crackers, tortilla chips, or veggies. (Or a spoon, you could totally just eat it with a spoon if you wanted to…no one would judge you!)
A creamy, melty, cheesy, meaty, smoky, dip that will definitely keep your guests coming back for more! Only 142 calories!
- 8 oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
- 6 slices cooked, chopped bacon, divided
- 2 C turkey, chopped (can be lunchmeat or leftover)
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 C Greek yogurt (plain, I used non-fat)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 C pecorino romano cheese (or parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Allow 8 oz of cream cheese to soften at room temperature in a medium-sized bowl.
- Chop 6 slices of cooked bacon and 2 C of turkey (either lunchmeat or leftover). Dice 1 small tomato.
- In the bowl with the cream cheese, add in 1/4 C plain, non-fat Greek yogurt, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 4 oz of shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup), half of the bacon and all of the turkey. Mix well.
- Spread mixture into a glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Top with 1/4 C pecorino romano cheese, diced tomato and remaining bacon and cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Allow to cool slightly then enjoy!
Serve with crostinis, crackers, tortilla chips or veggies. (Not included in nutritional information).
Keywords: low calorie party appetizer, easy dip, low Kentucky derby snacks
**Recipe adapted from Cupcakes and Kale Chips (gotta love that balance! 🙂 )
What do you think? Did this recipe make the cut for you or did it crumble? What would you do differently? Leave a comment below! 🙂