This mango slaw is a fresh, bright and light side dish that is the perfect addition for your summer cookout! Can be made ahead of time and whips together in 10 minutes!
During the summer, I am always looking for fresh, unique, easy side dishes to whip together to pair with some smoked meat from the BBQ Brothers! They get bonus points if they can be made ahead of time so I have more time to enjoy sipping a cocktail on the patio. 🙂 This mango slaw covers all of these bases and is so addicting it may just end up being my feature side dish this year!
90 calories per serving
Before we dig into the recipe, let's learn a little bit more about mangoes!
How do I choose a good mango?
- Choose mangoes based on feel rather than appearance, as all mangoes will look different colors when ripe. They should give a little when pressed (like an avocado).
- Ripe mangoes will have a fragrant, sweet aroma.
How do I store mangoes until I'm ready to use them?
- Store at room temperature, which will make them sweeter over a few days.
- If you want to speed up the ripening process, place the mango in a paper bag with another fruit such as a banana or apple for about 2 days. (These fruits release ethylene gas which will speed up the process).
- If you want to slow down the ripening process, place the mango in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Ripe mangoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Tip: You can find more tips on seasonal produce selection and storage, plus tons of recipes from fellow food bloggers in my Monthly Seasonal Produce Guides! (The other ingredients in this recipe are also featured in these guides!)
How do I cut a mango?
Whenever I talk about a mango recipe with a friend, the first thing I usually hear is "I love mangoes, but I don't really know how to cut them." It's actually super easy so here's a quick guide on how to cut them!
First, cut off the base of the mango to make it flat for slicing. You'll be able to stand it on this end for easier peeling. Set the mango on its base then use a peeler or a knife to remove all of the skin from top to bottom. Discard of the skin. Once you have the skin removed, you can easily cut the mango using a mango slicer or follow the next few steps if you don't want to invest in one of these! (I actually find it easier just to use a knife!)Starting at the top of the mango, slice all the way down to the bottom creating a curved surface as you go (rather than cutting straight down). This will help you avoid cutting into the pit. I recommend using a paper towel to hold the mango as you slice, as it will be pretty slippery! Rotate the mango around and continue to slice off large curved pieces. Go back around the mango and continue to slice off any remaining flesh until you reach the pit (basically when the flesh becomes hard and grainy). Finally, dispose of the pit and dice your mango pieces!
Great! Now that my mango is cut, how do I make this mango slaw?
This mango slaw is super easy to whip together and is best if made in advance so the flavors can all blend together!
To begin, in a small mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice, ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, ½ teaspoon chili powder, and a dash of salt. Next, dump an 8 oz bag of coleslaw into a large serving bowl (1). Next, add 2 diced mangoes to the bowl (2). Top with 3 green onions that have been finely diced (3). Add in 3 mini peppers that have been sliced into small strips (4). Toss ½ C chopped cilantro on top (5).
Add your previously made mixture to the serving bowl with the slaw and mix together completely (6). Refrigerate the slaw for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve on top of fish tacos or on the side of smoked jerk chicken! This mango slaw makes for a perfect, easy and unique side for any BBQ!Print
This mango slaw is a fresh, bright and light side dish that is the perfect addition for your summer cookout! Only 90 calories per serving, can be made ahead of time and whips together in just 10 minutes!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 (8 oz) bag of coleslaw
- 2 mangoes, diced (see notes)
- 3 green onions, diced
- 3 mini peppers, thinly sliced
- ½ C fresh cilantro, chopped
- To begin, in a small mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice, ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon honey, ½ teaspoon chili powder, and a dash of salt.
- Next, dump an 8 oz bag of coleslaw into a large serving bowl.
- Add 2 diced mangoes to the bowl.
- Top with 3 green onions that have been finely diced.
- Add in 3 mini peppers that have been sliced into small strips.
- Toss ½ C chopped cilantro on top.
- Add your previously made mixture to the serving bowl with the slaw and mix together completely.
- Refrigerate slaw for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Enjoy!! 🙂
See post notes for tips on how to choose, store and cut mangoes!
Keywords: mango slaw, unique BBQ side, summer cook out, make-ahead, easy
What do you think? Did this recipe make the cut for you or did it crumble? What would you do differently? Leave a comment below! 🙂