Chicken and veggies don't have to be boring!! This dish is simple, delicious, and FULL of flavor! Only 490 calories!
- 2 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on)
- 2 slices of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 fuji apple, sliced into 8 pieces
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 C apple juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil once hot.
- Dry both sides of 2 chicken thighs with paper towel and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Once skillet is hot, add chicken, skin side down. Allow to cook until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Do not touch it! You want the skin to stay in contact with the hot surface! 🙂
- Turn heat down to medium and add in 2 slices of chopped bacon. Cook for about 2 minutes, moving bacon around without disturbing the chicken.
- Add in 1 1/2 lbs of trimmed/halved brussels sprouts and 1 apple worth of slices. Salt and pepper to taste, and stir around to mix in with bacon pieces.
- Put the entire skillet into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove skillet, flip chicken thighs over, and stir the rest of the ingredients.
- Place back into oven for an additional 10 minutes. (Internal temperature should be 165 F)
- Once cooked, remove and plate the chicken. Use a slotted spoon to divide up the sprouts, apple and bacon, but leave all juices in the skillet.
- Add skillet back to stove top over medium high heat and add in 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar. Scrape along bottom of pan to loosen any remaining bacon and chicken skin.
- Add 1/4 C apple juice and let simmer until thick, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour juice over plated chicken and serve immediately.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Keywords: one pan dinner, easy weeknight meal, cast iron cooking, family dinner, date night, low calorie, low carb