Chicken and veggies don’t have to be boring!! This dish is simple, delicious, and FULL of flavor! Only 481 calories! (7 SP)
- 2 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on!)
- 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 fuji apple, sliced into 8 pieces
- 2 slices of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 C apple juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil once hot.
- Dry both sides of chicken with paper towel and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Once skillet is hot, add chicken, skin side down. Allow to cook until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Do not touch it! You want the skin to stay in contact with the hot surface! 🙂
- Turn heat down to medium and add bacon pieces. Cook for about 2 minutes, moving bacon around without disturbing the chicken.
- Add in brussels sprouts and apple slices. Salt and pepper to taste, and stir around to mix in with bacon pieces.
- Put the entire skillet into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove skillet, flip chicken thighs over, and stir the rest of the ingredients.
- Place back into oven for an additional 10 minutes. (Internal temperature should be 165 F)
- Once cooked, remove and plate the chicken. Use a slotted spoon to divide up the sprouts, apple and bacon, but leave all juices in the skillet.
- Add skillet back to stove top over medium high heat and add in red wine vinegar. Scrape along bottom of pan to loosen any remaining bacon and chicken skin.
- Add apple juice and let simmer until thick, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour juice over plated chicken and serve immediately.
7 SP per serving
- Serving Size: 2
- Calories: 481
- Sugar: 20.4 g
- Sodium: 370.2 mg
- Fat: 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.5 g
- Fiber: 14.8 g
- Protein: 48.2 g
- Cholesterol: 191.8 mg