Swap out the cheese for a secret ingredient in this guilt-free pasta! Toss in pops of perfectly roasted broccoli for a side dish that is only 208 calories per serving! (7 SP)
- 2 C butternut squash cut into 1 inch cubes (about 1/2 of a medium-sized squash)
- 3 C fresh broccoli florets
- 2 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz of wheat rotini
- 1/4 C of butter or margarine (I used margarine)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 T flour
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 C milk (I used skim)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cube butternut squash and place on half of the baking sheet. On the other half place the broccoli florets. Drizzle with olive oil and salt/pepper to taste. Roast for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- In a large pot, prepare the rotini according to the directions on the box.
- While you’re making the rotini, on a separate burner, add a large skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter or margarine and add in the garlic. Saute for about 1 minute then whisk in flour.
- Slowly whisk in heavy whipping cream and milk until smooth. Continue to heat over medium-high heat until boiling, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Remove from heat then whisk in nutmeg and grated parmesan cheese until melted.
- Once the squash is done roasting, place it in a blender and add the sauce on top. Blend on high until completely smooth.
- Pour back into the skillet then add in the rotini and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper, top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
7 SP per serving
*Link for How to Cut a Butternut Squash in post!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 208
- Sugar: 3.8 g
- Sodium: 612.9 mg
- Fat: 12.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.9 mg
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 6.6 g
- Cholesterol: 20.3 g