A savory, low calorie, Mexican snack for only 100 calories for 2 pepper halves! Delicious warm or cold and super easy to make!
- 15 mini sweet peppers
- 8 oz low-fat cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
- 1 C grated, sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (I used 40% less sodium)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 C panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice 15 mini peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and ribs. (You can cut tops off if you wish. I like to leave them on because it gives me something to hold on to while I devour them!)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together 8 oz softened cream cheese, 1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese and 2 Tbsp taco seasoning until fully blended.
- Stuff each pepper with a small amount of cheese mixture, until level with the top of each pepper.
- In a separate, small, microwaveable, bowl, melt 1 Tbsp butter then mix in 1/2 C panko breadcrumbs.
- Dip each pepper half into the breadcrumb mixture and press down to adhere.
- Place peppers onto a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes then switch oven to broil.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Watch closely to prevent burning. Allow to cool then serve!
Leftovers can be microwaved for about 45 seconds.
Keywords: appetizer, cinco de mayo food, easy, make-ahead, low calorie, healthy, party, game day, kid-friendly, snack