This creamy one-pot broccoli cheddar soup is ready in just 30 minutes and is so perfectly flavored that it rivals Panera! The perfect accompaniment to a cold winter day!
- 1.5 heads of broccoli cut into florets (about 3 cups worth)
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 C flour
- 2 C half and half cream
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 C shredded carrots
- 8 oz finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- First, start out by prepping your veggies. Wash and chop about 1.5 medium heads of broccoli into florets so you have about 3 cups worth of florets and set aside. Next, finely dice 1/2 of a white onion.
- Place a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat and add in 1/4 C of butter and all of the diced onion. Sauté the onion until soft, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle in 1/4 C of flour, stir and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Next, whisk in 2 C of half and half cream and 1 can (14.5 oz) of chicken broth. Add in the broccoli florets and 1 C of shredded carrots. Season with some salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and allow the soup to cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The soup is ready when the broccoli is tender and easily stabbed with a fork. (This may require less time if you're using frozen broccoli.)
- Transfer the soup to a blender and pulse until desired consistency (this doesn't take much so don't pulverize it!)
- Pour the soup back into your pot and allow to cool slightly. Add in 8 oz of finely grated sharp cheddar cheese and stir until combined. (This will help prevent the cheese from seizing and clumping.)
- Finally, season with a little extra salt and pepper, if desired, and about 1/4 tsp of nutmeg. Mix to combined and serve warm with bread.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Shopping: In addition to the main ingredients listed above, be sure you have some all-purpose flour, butter, salt and pepper, and nutmeg at home!
Substitutions: I like to use fresh broccoli when possible but you can substitute for frozen broccoli if you're in a hurry. You can also swap out the chicken broth for vegetable broth if you prefer!
Prep: The prep work for this broccoli cheddar soup is beyond easy. Simply wash and chop your broccoli into florets and dice 1/2 of a white onion. Everything else is basically measuring and dumping!
Cooking: The key to the perfect consistency for this soup is temperature and timing. Be sure your heat isn't set too high so the soup doesn't begin to burn. Stir the soup occasionally while cooking and scrape off anything that is sticking to the bottom of your pot (enameled dutch ovens and wooden spoons are ideal for this!) Also, using finely shredded cheese added after the soup has cooled slightly will help prevent the cheese from clumping together. Adding when the soup is still hot will cause it to seize up and taste grainy!
Storage: Leftover soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freezing: You can also freeze this soup by allowing it to cool and then storing it in a freezer-safe container or flattened zip-top bags.
Reheating: If refrigerated: Leftover soup can be reheated in the microwave while stirring at 30-second intervals, or on the stovetop over low heat until the desired temperature. If frozen: Allow the soup to thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat as noted above.
Keywords: Panera broccoli cheddar soup, one pot soup, homemade broccoli cheddar soup