A healthy Mexican mash-up that is loaded with all your enchilada and burrito favorites but at only 360 calories per bowl! Serve in a baked low-carb tortilla bowl for an easy weeknight dinner, or wrap it up in a quick burrito for a fun lunch on the go!
- 6 soft tortillas (I used Mission Carb Balance low carb tortillas)
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (I used La Victoria) (1/2 C for meat, extra for topping bowls)
- 1 packet burrito seasoning
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 (16 oz) can refried beans (I used fat free)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- Shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce for topping bowls
- Any extra toppings desired such as jalapeños, hot sauce, or salsa.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and set 6 ramekins or small bowls upside down on a baking sheet. Place 6 tortillas (or as many as you'd like to prepare) on a plate separated by damp paper towels and microwave for 15 seconds. Carefully remove then spray each side liberally with cooking spray. Arrange each tortilla around a ramekin and pinch the sides together to create a bowl shape. Wrap with foil to hold the shape while baking. Bake for 30 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Next, heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add in 1 lb of ground turkey. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. There should be very little grease, but drain out any that remains after browning.
- Once the turkey is browned, add in 1/3 C of water, 1/2 C canned enchilada sauce, 1 packet of burrito seasoning, and 1 sliced green pepper. Stir and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, until green peppers are slightly softened.
- Remove the meat mixture from heat and set aside. Prepare 1 can of fat-free refried beans by microwaving or heating in a saucepan over medium heat (or you can make them from scratch if you're really fancy. I am not.)
- Once the tortilla bowls are done, remove from the oven, flip upside down and fill with refried beans, your turkey mixture, a drizzle of enchilada sauce, 1 Tbsp each of shredded Mexican cheese, light sour cream, guacamole, and diced tomatoes and lettuce.
- Take a fork and knife to that baby and enjoy! 🙂
Leftover meat, beans, and toppings should be stored separately, which makes for a perfect make-ahead meal as a quick weeknight dinner or fast lunch!
You can skip the baked tortilla bowl and wrap the ingredients up in a fast burrito to-go or plate it and top it with enchilada sauce for a sit-down meal!
Keywords: lunch, easy, make-ahead, low calorie, healthy, enchilada, burrito, low carb