A healthy Mexican mash-up that is loaded with all your enchilada and burrito favorites but at only 350 calories (6 SP) per bowl! Serve in a baked low-carb tortilla bowl for an easy weeknight dinner, or wrap it up in a quick burrito for a fun lunch on the go!
6 soft tortillas (I used Mission Carb Balance low carb tortillas)
1 lb of lean ground turkey
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (I used La Victoria) (1/2 C for meat, extra for topping bowls)
1 packet burrito seasoning
1 green pepper, sliced
1 (16 oz) can refried beans (I used fat free)
1 medium tomato, diced
Shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce for topping bowls
Any extra toppings desired such as jalapeños, hot sauce, or salsa.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and set 6 ramekins or small bowls upside down on a baking sheet. Place 6 tortillas (or as many as you’d like to prepare) on a plate separated by damp paper towels and microwave for 15 seconds. Carefully remove then spray each side liberally with cooking spray. Arrange each tortilla around a ramekin and pinch the sides together to create a bowl shape. Wrap with foil to hold the shape while baking. Bake for 30 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- Next, heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add in turkey. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until no longer pink. There should be very little grease, but drain out any that remains after browning.
- Once the turkey is browned, add in 1/3 C of water, 1/2 C canned enchilada sauce, 1 packet of burrito seasoning, and green pepper slices. Stir and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes, until green peppers are slightly softened.
- Remove the meat mixture from heat and set aside. Prepare canned fat-free refried beans by microwaving or heating in a saucepan over medium heat (or you can make them from scratch if you’re really fancy. I am not.)
- Once the tortilla bowls are done, remove from the oven, flip upside down and fill with refried beans, your turkey mixture, a drizzle of enchilada sauce, 1 Tbsp each of shredded Mexican cheese, light sour cream, guacamole, and diced tomatoes and lettuce.
- Take a fork and knife to that baby and enjoy! 🙂
6 SP per bowl
Leftover meat, beans, and toppings should be stored separately, which makes for a perfect make-ahead meal as a quick weeknight dinner or fast lunch! You can skip the baked tortilla bowl and wrap the ingredients up in a fast burrito to-go or plate it and top it with enchilada sauce for a sit-down meal!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 348
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 1,726.6 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 31.3 g
- Cholesterol: 51.8 mg