This white cheddar onion dip is hot and bubbly and loaded with sharp white cheddar cheese, cream cheese, herbs, and a mild taste of vidalia onion. So good!
My dip craving has struck again. It usually hits about once every about 3 minutes so I was a little overdue for this one. Over the fourth of July weekend our plans were really flakey one day and we didn’t know if we were having 2 or 10 people over. On days like that I love to make dips because they can be reheated if necessary, can feed a crowd (or just me 🙂 ), and are super easy to whip together so if no one shows up I don’t mind because I didn’t slave in the kitchen!
I grabbed some blue tortilla chips for this dip just to make it festive for the 4th, threw some ingredients into a bowl then into the oven and in a half hour I had a delicious dip ready to go for whoever may show up! (And this dip was so good I was secretly hoping no one would because there would be more dip for me! 😛 )
WHITE CHEDDAR ONION DIP
BEFORE WE START, HOW DO I choose the right onion for this?
- Choose onions with smooth, dry skin and tightly closed necks.
- Choose onions with papery, bright, shiny skin.
- Avoid onions with soft spots, dark spots under the skin or sprouts.
How can I STORE onions UNTIL I NEED THEM?
- Store in a cool, dark, spot such as your pantry for 1-2 weeks. Vidalia onions won’t last as long as regular onions due to their higher water and sugar content so be sure to store them properly!
Tip: You can find more tips on seasonal produce selection and storage, plus tons of recipes from fellow food bloggers in my Monthly Seasonal Produce Guides!
that was easy, so how do i make this dip?
For this dip you’re obviously going to need some white cheddar cheese and onion so start by prepping those. You’re going to shred 3 C (or one block) of Cracker Barrel white cheddar cheese, and 2/3 C vidalia onion (about 1 small-medium onion). (PS: I actually doubled the original recipe because when I started prepping it as instructed it seemed like an alarmingly small amount of dip. I might have a problem. Either way this dip was devoured between 4 people (98% me) so I still recommend making the amount listed in this recipe!)Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium-sized bowl, mix the cheese and onion with 2/3 C mayonnaise, 6 oz softened cream cheese, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, and 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning.
Combine all the ingredients until well mixed then place into a baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, hot and bubbly.
Enjoy! 🙂 Serve with chips or veggies!Looking for more dips? (Stupid question, of course you are.) Here’s more!Print
This dip is hot and bubbly and loaded with sharp white cheddar cheese, cream cheese, herbs, and a mild taste of vidalia onion. So good!
- 3 C (or one block) Cracker Barrel white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2/3 C vidalia onion, diced (about 1 small-medium onion)
- 2/3 C mayonnaise
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine all ingredients, place in baking dish.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, hot and bubbly.
- Enjoy! 🙂 Serve with chips or veggies.
Keywords: easy party food, quick appetizer, game day snack, white cheddar dip
**Recipe from Pizzazzerie
What do you think? Did this recipe make the cut for you or did it crumble? What would you do differently? Leave a comment below! 🙂