Little zucchini tots that are loaded with flavor and fresh herbs! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, then dipped in a warm marinara sauce for an Italian pop! Only 16 calories per ball!
- 1 C zucchini, grated and drained well (about 1.5 medium sized zucchini)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/3 C breadcrumbs
- 1/4 C asiago cheese (or parmesan)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by grating about 1 1/2 medium-sized zucchini using a box grater into a clean kitchen towel. Using the towel, squeeze as much water as possible out of the zucchini and measure out about 1 C of zucchini. (*See notes). Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Grate 1 clove of garlic and add to the bowl with the zucchini.
- Chop 2 Tbsp of fresh chives, 1 Tbsp parsley, 1 tsp basil and 1 tsp oregano and add to the zucchini and garlic.
- Add in 1 egg, 1/3 C breadcrumbs, 1/4 C asiago or parmesan cheese cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray.
- Spoon mixture into about 1 inch balls and add to baking sheet. Mix will make about 20 balls.
- Cook for 15-18 minutes or until zucchini balls begin to slightly brown, turning half way.
- Enjoy! Serve with a side of warmed marinara sauce!
Make sure you get as much water out of the zucchini as possible to get your bites to turn out crispy and not soggy! 🙂
See post notes for tips on how to choose and store the vegetables and herbs used in this recipe!
Keywords: zucchini bites, healthy appetizer, low calorie party food, kid-friendly healthy snack