Fresh portabella mushrooms jam-packed with Italian seasoned sautéed vegetables and topped with tangy melted blue cheese! Only 179 calories per mushroom!
- 4 medium portabella mushrooms
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 3/4 C red bell pepper, diced
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 C zucchini, cut into very small cubes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 C blue cheese plus more for garnish
- Begin by cleaning 4 portabella mushrooms thoroughly and removing the stems. Using a teaspoon, remove all of the gills and discard. Brush the mushrooms with olive oil on each side then place onto a foil lined baking sheet.
- Dice 1/2 of a large sweet onion, 3/4 C of red bell pepper and 3 ribs of celery. Mince 2 cloves of garlic and cut 2 C of zucchini into very small cubes.
- Preheat a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add in 2 Tbsp of olive oil then sauté the onion and celery until softened and beginning to brown, which will take about 10 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant. Transfer onion, celery and garlic into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet with olive oil, add in the zucchini and red pepper and cook until they soften, which will take about 5 minutes. Add in 1 tsp Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste, then cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Once the zucchini and pepper are done, add them to the bowl with the onion mixture and set aside to cool slightly.
- The mushrooms can be cooked on either a grill over medium-high heat or in the oven at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. While whichever method you choose is preheating, add 1/2 C blue cheese crumbles to the veggie mixture and stir to mix in. Evenly stuff the oiled mushrooms then top with a little more blue cheese and salt/pepper to taste.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the mushrooms are slightly softened. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.
Leftovers can be reheated wrapped in foil and warmed in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Keywords: stuffed mushrooms, easy dinner, healthy dinner, low calorie side dish