Kicking regular guacamole up a notch by adding in CHEESE! Still only 129 calories per serving. It's a perfect snack for Cinco de Mayo!
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes
- 1/4 C fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 C grated, sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice (about 1 1/2 limes)
- 3 ripe avocados (black or dark purple, yields to gentle pressure)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Roughly chop 1/2 of a medium red onion. Remove seeds and ribs and mince 1/2 jalapeño pepper. Mince 2 cloves of garlic. Remove seeds and dice 2 plum tomatoes. Chop 1/4 C cilantro leaves.
- Combine all of the chopped ingredients into a large bowl and add in 1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 Tbsp of the lime juice.
- In a separate bowl, halve 3 avocados and remove the pits (but hold onto them!) and scoop the insides into the bowl. Add in 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp cumin, remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp lime juice and 1/2 tsp salt and mash together with a potato masher until desired consistency.
- Mix both bowls of ingredients together.
- Push the pits into the dip and top with plastic wrap, pressed onto the surface of the guacamole, to prevent browning.
- Allow to refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Enjoy!! 🙂
See post notes for tips on how to choose and store avocados!
Keywords: guacamole, appetizer, cinco de mayo food, easy, low calorie Mexican, cheesy guacamole, snack