Loaded with chicken, onion and cheese, these stuffed peppers are a tasty, low calorie, super healthy dinner option, plus they're easy and fun to make! Only 178 calories per pepper half!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 bell peppers
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- Cilantro, to garnish
- Over medium-high heat, bring a medium pot of water to a full boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, add in 2 chicken breasts and cover. Allow to cook for about 15-25 minutes. Ensure that the chicken is done by checking with a meat thermometer (needs to be at 165 degrees F).
- Shred the chicken using two forks or a KitchenAid Mixer with flat beater attachment.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees then add the chicken to a medium-sized bowl. Add in 1 clove of minced garlic, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1 small diced onion. Mix thoroughly.
- Cut 3 bell peppers in half and remove the seeds and core.
- Stuff each pepper half with the chicken mixture then top with a little extra onion and some cilantro.
- Place the peppers into a ceramic baking dish and mist with cooking spray. Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the peppers are slightly softened.
- Remove from the oven and top each pepper half with 1/2 slice of provolone cheese. Place back into the oven uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Top with a little extra cilantro then serve!
Leftovers make for a great breakfast as well! You can dice up the stuffed pepper then cook it with a scrambled egg or two. It tastes incredible and makes for such a high protein breakfast!
Keywords: stuffed peppers, easy dinner, make-ahead, kid-friendly meal