- 1 box of off brand vanilla wafers
- 1 box of Keebler Grasshopper cookies
- 2/3 C shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 2–3 Tbsp milk
- Desired food coloring (red for ketchup, green for lettuce, yellow for mustard or cheese, etc)
- Cream 2/3 C shortening in a medium sized bowl.
- Add in powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 Tbsp of milk. Using a hand mixer, beat until smooth and well blended. If the icing seems too thick, add in about 1 more Tbsp of milk, until decorating consistency (easily spreadable yet still stiff).
- Split the icing in half and transfer into separate bowls. Stir in food coloring until desired color.
- Empty out 1 box of off brand vanilla wafers into a large bowl or pan (to make for easier prepping) and 1 box of Keebler Grasshoppers into another.
- Spread half of the vanilla wafers with your red icing.
- Press one grasshopper into each half.
- Then spread the other half of the wafers with the green icing and top each grasshopper cookie.
- Press down slightly to give hamburger appearance and ensure the cookie holds together.
- Store in a sealed container for at least 1 day before serving. This will give the vanilla wafer time to soften so the cookies can be easily eaten.