A super simple technique to add a smoky twist to deviled eggs! This will add just the right kick that you didn’t even know you needed!
Main Ingredient: As many soft to medium boiled eggs as you want (deviled egg recipe calls for 7). Shells left on but cracked.
Other Ingredients (For deviled eggs): 3 Tbsp Mayonnaise, 3 tsp chopped chives, 1 tsp brown mustard, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, hot sauce, 2 Tbsp cooked, crumbled bacon and some paprika. Plus any other toppers you choose, such as jalapeños or more hot sauce.
Wood Used: Cherry
Grill Temperature: ~225 to 250 F, indirect heat
Smoke time: ~1 hours
- First, start out by boiling the eggs like normal to a medium or soft boil, as we don’t want them completely done since they are going to cook more in the smoker.
- Next, we want to lightly crack or smash the shells so the outside of the egg is exposed. We don’t want to completely peel the shell off, or the eggs will develop a gummy texture. By keeping some of the shell intact, we are allowing the smoke to get in to flavor the egg but at the same time keeping it firm.
- We want to set up our smoker to a low heat of 200-225 with some cherry wood for flavor, but really any type of wood that you like would work fine. Now they are only gonna be in the smoker for about an hour, any more time they will get overdone and have a chewy texture. So, more or less, we want to get them in with high smoke and then get them out.
- For the deviled eggs, you’ll peel and slice 7 eggs in half, then scoop the yolk into a large zip-lock bag. Add in 3 Tbsp mayonnaise, 3 tsp chopped chives, 1 tsp brown mustard, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and a dash of hot sauce (or more if you want them hot). Close the bag and knead together until mixed and egg yolks are broken up.
- Snip the corner of the bag off and pipe the filling equally into the sliced eggs. Top with about 2 Tbsp of cooked, crumbled bacon and some paprika. You can also top with any other ingredients you choose such as jalapeños or more hot sauce.